Are you interested in finding out the best programming languages for games? Let’s examine this topic in depth.
Video games have been fun for kids and adults for decades. The Entertainment Software Association says that 64 percent of U.S. homes have a device that can be used to play video games.
Behind every flashy and well-animated video game is a set of codes that make the game playable. The settings and rules of a game are made with the help of programming languages. The gaming industry is growing quickly around the world.
Today, making video games is a lucrative business with a lot of job opportunities.
Since games are becoming so popular all over the world, there has never been a better time to become a game developer.
According to a report by Juniper Research, the gaming industry made $155 billion in 2020 and is expected to make over $260 billion by 2025.
Companies like Apple, Netflix, Facebook, and Google are getting into the gaming market and competing hard for a piece of it.
The choice of programming language depends on a number of things, such as the type of game (console, computer, or mobile) and how interactive it is.
What is programming for games?
What makes a programming language the best programming languages for games? How is programming for games different from programming for anything else?
For making games, the best language must be:
- Quick and easy to carry: A language used to make games can’t take a long time to compile. Many players want to play in real-time.
- Robust: The games of today are very complicated. A language for making video games must be able to handle a lot of data and complicated graphics.
- Well-integrated: Artists and designers must work closely with game programmers. They need to be able to add art to the game.
- Well-supported: Especially when it comes to game development kits and engines. Even if you have the best languages for making games in the world, they won’t help you if no one else uses them.
Aside from that, many game developers look for code that is simple, easy, and can be quickly deployed. Because so many game developers are also one-person shops, they often look for the best programming languages for games for beginners.
Top 7 Best Programming Languages for Games
Now that we’ve talked about some of the most important parts of the best programming languages for games, let’s look at some of the most popular ones.
Java is a safe and portable language that can be used to make games that can be played on many different platforms. It is easy to learn, and there are a lot of developers who use it.
- Easy to learn and use; games can be played on more than one platform
- Because of how it’s used, it’s slower than some other languages. It’s also an old language that some developers consider to be “deprecated.”
Systems for making games that use Java:
- Simple to understand and use
- Popular for making games that run in a browser.
- Some languages move more slowly than others
- Mostly used for making websites.
3. GML( Game Maker Language)
Game Maker Studio, a popular tool for making games, uses a language called GML, which is a proprietary language. It is easy to learn and use, so new programmers like to use it. GML is only used in GameMaker Studio, so you can’t use these skills on any other platform.
- Simple to understand and use
- Can be used to make games that GameMaker Studio will compile for a number of platforms.
- Only works with the GameMaker Studio program (proprietary language)
Systems for making games that use GML:
- GameMaker Studio
You May Also Like
10 Ultimate High Paying Programming Languages of 2023
C++ is a powerful object-oriented programming language that is often used to make games. Even though it can be hard to learn, it is the most common language in the world. Most game development kits and frameworks can work with it.
- Quick and well done
- SDKs and frameworks support it a lot.
- Open-source code and a large group of programmers
- Complex and hard for newcomers
- Many game developers have switched to newer programming languages.
Systems for making games that use C++ are
- Unreal Engine
Lua is a popular language for making games because it is simple and light. It is often used as a scripting language for games, especially simpler ones that don’t need complex graphics or a lot of programming.
- Simple to understand and use
- Popular for mobile game development
- It can’t do as much as other, more powerful languages.
Game development systems that Lua use:
Python is a popular programming language that is easy to learn and easy to read. It is often used to make games, and it is also popular for applications in artificial intelligence and machine learning.
- It’s simple to learn and use.
- The language is flexible and can be used for many different things.
- Because of how it’s interpreted, it moves more slowly than some other languages.
Systems for making games that use Python:
- Engine Godot
Apple made a new language called Swift. It is often used to make iOS games, but it can also be used to make many other kinds of mobile apps. It is still fairly new, so companies that make games are always looking for it.
- Simple to understand and use.
- Provides good performance.
- Great for making games for iOS.
- Only works on iOS mobile apps.
Systems for making games that use Swift’s:
How to Get Started in Game Development
Are you interested in making games? Here are three things you can do to get going:
Step 1: Figure out how to write code
Developers have made almost all of the games you’ve played on consoles, phones, and computers. These smart people know how to write scalable and reliable code that makes these games work. If you want to get started making games, you should learn at least one of the languages listed above. You can learn many of these skills and more at a coding boot camp.
Step 2: Make a little game
Step 3: Make a portfolio of your game designs
Once you’ve started making your own games, you’ll want to make an online portfolio that you can show people when they ask for examples. This portfolio should show off your best and most relevant game design work. You should make sure that your portfolio shows what kind of game design you want to do, whether it’s level design, systems design, user interface design, or something else.
Your gaming software platform will have a big effect on the best programming languages for games. Whether you want to use Unity or Unreal or write apps for Android or iOS, you’ll need to choose the right language.
If you think that we have missed any of the best programming languages for games then please comment down below.