Both Python vs PHP are the most popular high-level programming languages. PHP is traditionally used as a server-side scripting language, while Python is considered valuable for its dynamics, availability, and ingenuity. Despite their almost similar popularity among developers, these two languages have many specifications and differences. The wide prevalence and use of these languages point to the question – which of them is better and more convenient?
To give a full answer of Python vs PHP, it is important to carefully consider the features, functionality, and scope of Python and PHP in software development. It is also important to understand the main difference and connection.
In this article, Our Java Assignment Help experts explain clearly the similarities and differences between these two languages( Python vs PHP).
When to choose Python vs PHP?
PHP is a popular language for web development. It is common to use PHP to create websites, web apps, and blogs. All WordPress sites are created in PHP. Wikipedia and Facebook were also developed using PHP.
Python is a general-purpose programming language, which is used in different areas ranging from data science to robotics. Google uses Python for its engineering and Lyft users for its data analytics. Python can be used to create a website (such as PHP) using the popular Python Framework Django.
What is Python?
Python is a high-level programming language that is used for general purposes. A Dutch programmer, Guido van Rossum created Python in 1991 with a design philosophy of code readability with significant use of whitespace. It follows the object-oriented approach and allows programmers to write code clean.
Python supports procedural and functional programming paradigms. The garbage collection system in Python is quite straightforward with automatic memory management.
The latest version of Python is 3.7.3 which was released on March 25, 2019.
Advantages of Python
- Object-oriented and cross-platform programming language
- Due to portable work functionality in nature
- Highly readable, making it easier for beginners
- It’s open-source, a feature that makes it easily accessible
- It is a constantly evolving language
Disadvantages of Python
- Slightly in-effective in mobile computing and browsers
- Design restrictions: Duck-typing can cause run-time errors
- Delayed testing of web applications
- A little too simple for some tasks
Why you should select Python?
There are a few reasons why you should choose Python:
- It’s easier to write and debug python code than other language code. Therefore, it is relatively easy to maintain its source code.
- Python is a portable language, so it can run on a variety of operating systems and platforms.
- It comes with several prebuilt libraries that easily complete your development work.
- Python helps you simplify complex programming. As it internally relates to the memory address, garbage collection.
- Python offers an interactive shell that helps you test things before real implementation.
- It provides database interfaces for all major commercial DBMS systems.
- Python supports GUI applications as a framework for the web. Examples: tkmter, WXPython, Django.
History of Python
- Python first invented in the late 1980s, but its implementation began only in December 1989.
- It was invented by Guido van Rosum in the Netherlands.
- Rossum published the first version of Python (0.9.0) in February 1991.
- This is a general-purpose programming language that was derived from the ABC programming language.
- Nowadays Python has been retained by a core development team, although Rostum still plays an important role in managing its progress.
What is PHP?
Like Python, PHP or Hypertext Preprocessor is also a general-purpose programming language. However, it was originally designed as a web development language. Rasmus Lerdorf created PHP in 1994.
You can execute PHP with a command-line interface (CLI) that is embedded in HTML. In addition, you can go with a combination of different web template systems. Typically, a PHP interpreter uses code as a module on a web server. If we keep web-references aside, we can also use PHP for robot control drones and standalone graphical applications.
The latest version of PHP is 7.0 and was released on December 3, 2015.
Advantages of PHP
- There is a huge ecosystem
- Object-oriented and open-source language with an active community
- Interoperability- There are many pluggable frameworks
- Supports first-class debugging
Disadvantages of PHP
- Threaded and Slow Execution
- No Internet of Things community support
- Limited visibility and control
- Externally dependent
Why should you select PHP?
Here are the major reasons why you should select PHP:
- PHP runs on various platforms such as Windows, Unix, Linux, Mac OS X, etc.
- PHP is almost compatible with Apaches, IIS server
- It is easy to learn that runs efficiently on the server-side
- It is free to download from its official website.
History of PHP
- Php was launched as a Pearl hack by Rasmus Lerdorf in 1995
- It was rewritten again in 1997 and released as PHP2.0 with a new passer engine by Zeev Suraski and Gutmans.
- PHP 2 changed the language to a server-side scripting language.
- PHP 3 (1998) added support for ODBC(Open Database Connectivity) multiple platform support and email protocols are added
- The PHP 4 version that was released in the year 2000 has become an independent component of the webserver for additional efficiency.
- PHP 5, which was released in the year 2004, combines Zend Engine II with object-oriented programming, strong XML support.
Python vs PHP: what is common between them?
Python vs PHP has several common properties that make them popular:
- Both languages are easier to learn than other languages.
- Php and python are with comprehensive and detailed documentation;
- Both languages are open source and can be updated and upgraded by users for the purpose of improvement;
- Wide and friendly developer communities facilitate the learning and working process with PHP and Python;
- Portability and versatility: Both languages have IDEs for all major operating systems.
Python vs PHP: Key Differences
- Python is a high-level object-oriented programming language that is used for faster application development, while PHP stands for Hypertext pre-processor used to develop a dynamic website or web application.
- It is widely used in AI, data science and scientific community while PHP is the language of choice for web development.
- Python has very few frameworks while PHP has several frameworks.
- Python offers very clear and concise syntax of code while PHP has a wide range of naming conventions and syntax.
- Python’s main features are rapid development, dynamic typing and beautiful code while the key features of PHP are open source, easy deployment, continuous improvement.
Python vs PHP: The Basic Differences
Let’s see how both Python vs PHP differs from each other in terms of their code functions:
Defining variables in Python is a simple hack. If you want to define a variable and set value (1) for it, just mention in words (one). You can define variables as numbers in PHP.
In both languages,’ if’ and ‘Else’ are used as expressions for right and wrong.
Looping / Iterator
Python has different looping forms. ‘While’ is used for a true statement and ‘for’ is used for the false one, provided with a looping condition. PHP uses While, Do-While, For and Foreach Loops.
Python vs PHP: Performance Comparison
A Python vs PHP performance comparison will be a complete idea to explore strong competitors. Separating technical parameters, we’re using some common parameters to find out which score is higher in Python vs PHP War.
Performance and speed
Speed is often synonymous with great performance in web applications. And in terms of Python vs PHP performance, it’s no different. It’s important to perform error-free for web apps when processing millions of requests at a time. PHP is considered more effective at speed. Although PHP 5.x was faster, PHP 7.x broke its own records, leaving Python’s programs to dust. It completes tasks about 3 times faster.
Syntax and code readability
Syntax plays a major role as the point of difference between PHP and Python. To be concise, PHP kind of syntax resembles the C language. Programmers need to be careful and use curly brackets, operators and additional characters. What’s more, developers can also ignore white spaces while compilation is turned on, brings additional usability that will help structure code into logical components.
Like Python, the syntax is built on the separation of code with spaces and tabs, significantly speeding up the coding process. In addition, Python’s syntax is readable which makes it easier for beginners to learn it effectively.
It’s good that both languages are open-source, which means they’re free to use. In fact, developers have advocated that these even though free in nature, maybe better than some of the paid frameworks.
What gives Python an edge in the battle of Python vs PHP is that it has exceptionally comprehensive and well-developed library support for all kinds of Python applications. Some of the most favorite libraries that developers use with others in machine learning development are TensorFlow, Theano, Scikit, etc.
Although PHP is lagging behind, it also has packages repository “Packagist” is quite popular among developers.
Both PHP and Python have loads of responsive and incredible web frameworks to get started. For the Python Framework, some of the most that stand out are Django, Bottle, CherryPy, Pyramid, and more.
As a framework of PHP, we have Laravel, Codeigniter, Zend, Symphony, and so on. Since both Python and PHP offer very good options for developers, beginners still lean a little more toward Python’s Django framework because it’s too fast.
Web programmers also look forward to the development of their websites and portals using numerous effective tools along with languages like Bootstrap, CS, Angular, etc. Python here provides many opportunities for the developers to adopt the same techniques and later combine it with Python code by employing frameworks.
This way, designers can easily design websites, while backend developers find it easy to use through very subtle and understandable language like Python.
It is prominent to consider the architecture of languages before we say anything in favor of any language,
The fact that both Python and PHP are object-oriented translates to the fact that they compress code modules with data in certain functions and objects. Therefore, any developer who is a little familiar with object-oriented programming can use any language.
If you want to judge or compare two things, the popularity of the market tops the list of points of comparison, as this indicates why developers and programmers like something.
Looking at this graph above, we can guess that Python is most searched on the web in the US than PHP.
Salary and Job Opportunities
Considering the pay-scale of both languages, we found that Python developers, on average, make about $120,024 every year in the United States. Whereas, PHP developers make an average of $86,017 per year.
It has been observed that 7,212,664 websites have been developed using PHP, and for Python, the number is 146.2702. What’s more, PHP is a pioneer in countries such as the US, Japan, Germany, and other 150+ countries.
Python vs PHP: What to choose?
Even after comparing these two languages, choosing one is undoubtedly a difficult task because both PHP and Python are good in their way. Python machine learning is the gateway to the code. On the other hand, PHP is used for server-side scripting and web development.
If you are a student or a learner and looking for the online Python Programming Help and PHP Assignments And Solutions then contact us. Our Java Assignment Help experts are available 24/7 for your help.