Earlier, web development is only associated with creating simple static or dynamic web pages that are not much interactive and attractive. But the advent of different modern web frameworks has changed the development process and aesthetics of websites and web applications.
However, many beginners or students do not know much about web frameworks. So, today, we will tell you what is a web framework. So, let us get started.
What Is A Web Framework?
A web framework is a set of web programming tools used to develop well-structured, reliable websites and web applications. Basically, it is a software framework that helps developers easily build dynamic websites, web apps, and web services.
It contains several application programming interfaces (APIs) for gaining access to underlying data resources, as well as templating capabilities that allow you to present information within a browser.
The majority of frameworks also include tools to help web developers create a content management system (CMS) for managing digital information on websites and the Internet. A web application framework is also thought of as a pre-built structure that handles website development’s elements and repetitive operations.
This means that web developers have to spend the majority of their time using code to interact with the different components of the web frameworks. Some of the features included in most web frameworks are authentication and authorization procedures, web caching, URL mapping, and database mapping and configuration.
Type Of Web Frameworks
Web framework can have two major types:
- Client-Side Web Framework
- Server-Side Web Framework
Client-Side Web Frameworks:
Developers use client-side web frameworks to create and manage user interfaces. They only handle the visible part of a web application. They don’t control the business logic and work in the browser. Client-Side Frameworks enable the creation of several animation elements using single-page applications.
Server-Side Web Framework:
The Server-side web development frameworks work behind the business logic of a web application. They can handle HTTP requests, improve security, manage databases, route URLs, and simplify the development process by creating output data.
Moreover, they offer different libraries and tools to make web development faster and easier for programmers. Some of the most popular Server-side web frameworks are Laravel, Django, Spring, Expressjs, etc.
Benefits of Using Web Development Frameworks
Here is the list of various benefits of web development frameworks:
Easy Development Process
Web frameworks provide the tools and packages to help programmers easily develop websites. The developers do not need to write all the code from scratch as frameworks offer several different templates (also functionalities) to get started.
They also provide opportunities for beginners to learn about essential topics and access various tools. Also, frameworks reduce the overall web development time as they set up the initial configuration by themselves.
Easy Debugging and Maintenance
Most programming languages don’t place a high priority on code readability and robustness. However, code readability, maintenance, and ease of debugging have a high priority in web frameworks. Also, you can easily get support from other community members whenever needed.
Reduces Code Length
As frameworks offer different pre-written functions for repetitive codes and initial setup, you can complete your project in fewer lines of code. Moreover, it increases code readability and lowers the development time.
Also, the frameworks include features and tools that enable developers to automate common operations like text storage, web construction, session management authentication, and URL mapping.
One of the most significant benefits of using web frameworks is that you won’t have to write a lot of code. Also, developers can avoid hours of coding work by using a pre-defined template and an intuitive coding interface.
Moreover, frameworks also allow for simple debugging, quick prototyping, and real-time code changes to incorporate custom features.
Cyber-attacks are becoming more common, raising severe security issues regarding web app development. The use of frameworks for web application development allows you to safeguard your web app from common threats such as DDoS and SQL injection, as well as data manipulation.
Why do you need a web framework?
Frameworks are some useful powerful tools that are used by web developers. By using frameworks, the work of web developers is easy. They provide web developers with a standard set of rules for design and development that you can use or change for your website.
- We need frameworks to get the tasks done on time and in a way that is both effective and creative.
- Web developers may save time when they use frameworks and use rest time for other tasks.
- When developers need to separate the user interface (UI) from the logic but don’t have time to build a system.
- When developers have self-made libraries that you use in all of your web apps to handle user authentication, sessions, and other common tasks that come with making a web app, it’s time to get rid of them.
- When you want to make a content management system (CMS) quickly while you already know the framework.
What Makes A Good Framework?
A good framework is:
- Simple to use and understand and consistent.
- It should use all of the best practices of the past and also be able to adapt to the new approaches in the future.
- It shouldn’t have any unnecessary code that doesn’t do anything.
- Also, it allows the developer to create reusable components.
- It should be possible to enhance it by adding more code to provide extra capabilities.
- The framework manages the flow of control, which means the framework, not the caller, is in charge of the processing order.
- It also provides a default framework code that can only be extended rather than modified.
Most Common Web Framework Functionalities
Web framework offers several different functionalities to help developers easily create websites. Here is the list of the most common web framework functionalities:
- Managing and validating forms
- URL routing
- HTML, JSON, XML, and other things setups with a templating engine
- Database connection configuration and convolutional data manipulation via an object-relational mapper (ORM)
- Session repository and retrieval
- Web security against SQL Injection, Cross-site Scripting (XSS), Cross-site request forgery (CSRF), and other possible malicious attacks
Frameworks According To Different Programming Languages
- Interactive content on websites.
- Building application.
- Games development.
- Web servers.
Java is the most popular programming language and platform that is used to run billions of devices, such as notebook computers, mobile devices, gaming consoles, medical devices, and many more. Java’s rules and syntax are based on those of the languages C and C++.
Frameworks of Java
- Play Framework
- Apache Struts
Java is Used for
- Build mobile applications.
- Development and growth of cloud applications.
- Building chatbots and other promotional tools.
- Providing the engine for business web applications.
- Combining internet of things (IoT) and artificial intelligence (AI) devices.
Structured query language, or SQL, is a scripting language for collecting and working with data in a database. A relational database stores information in a table format, with columns and rows able to represent different data attributes and the relationships between the data values. You can store, change, remove, search for, and get data from the database with SQL statements. You can also use SQL to manage and improve the performance of a database.
Frameworks of SQL
- .NET Framework
- .NET Core
- .NET Compact Framework
SQL is used for
- Communicate with the database.
- Used in machine learning.
Python is a high-level programming language that is interpreted, object-oriented, and has dynamic semantics. Its high-level data structures and dynamic typing and binding make it a good choice for rapid app development as well as use as a typescript t existing components.
Frameworks of Python
Python is Used For
- Web Development.
- Machine Learning.
- Data Analysis.
- Machine Learning.
C# is an easy-to-use and powerful object-oriented scripting language made by Microsoft. You can use Visual Studio and C# to make separate kinds of apps, like browsers, windows, console apps, and more.
Frameworks of C#
- .NET Core
- Windows Forms
- Automated Testing Framework
C# is Used For
- Web application.
- Class Libraries.
- Console Applications.
- Desktop Applications
- Web Services Applications.
You have just finished reading our detailed blog on what is a web framework. A web framework can be thought of as a tool or a group of tools developers can use to make programming tasks more manageable. Moreover, it can save your time and effort by providing code reusability, better debugging, and enhanced security. Hopefully, now you understand what a web framework is and its importance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are web frameworks used?
Web app frameworks are used to give a standard structure so that developers don’t have to start from scratch and may reuse the code. Frameworks allow us to cut out a lot of the work and save a lot of time in this way.
What are the most popular web frameworks used?
Ruby on Rails, Laravel, Django, ASP.NET, Express, Spring, Angular, Ember, Meteor, and Vue are the ten most popular web application frameworks.