Whether you are a computer science student or not, you may have heard about Java. It is one of the most popular programming languages with great career opportunities. There are millions of Java programmers out there earning a handsome salary from programming with Java. After hearing about the huge career potential of Java or the great salary, several students are moving towards learning Java programming. After hearing about the huge career potential of Java or the great salary, several students are moving towards Java training. But, most of them are still not aware of the capabilities of Java. They don’t know what does Java do exactly. So, in this blog, we will discuss what Java is, its features, and what does Java do.
What Is Java?
Java is a high-level, general-purpose, object-oriented, and class-based programming language. James Gosling developed Java at Sun Microsystems. It was officially released in 1995 as a core element of Sun Microsystems’ Java platform. Java language is designed with only a few implementation dependencies.
As Java is a general-purpose programming language, it is used for several different purposes. We’ll discuss what does Java do later in this blog. Java language programs are first converted to bytecode that can be executed on any machine having Java Virtual Machine(JVM). Due to this bytecode functionality, Java follows the concept of WORA(Write once, run anywhere). Also, the syntax of Java is somewhat similar to C/C++, but Java does not support many low-level facilities.
Also, Java is an object-oriented programming language, it supports all the important OOPs concepts, such as inheritance, abstraction, polymorphism, and encapsulation.
Features Of Java Programming
Before discussing what does Java do, students should know the important features of Java. Following is the list of various important features of Java programming:
Java is a very easy to use and learn programming language. The syntax of Java is clean and straightforward. Java does not support the complex features of other popular languages such as pointers, storage classes, operator overloading, etc.
Java follows the concept of WORA(Write Once, Run Anywhere), which makes it a platform-independent programming language. Java source code is first converted to BYTE code(intermediate code) which is then converted to the machine-level code by JVM(Java Virtual Machine). We can write code on any computer system and run it on another computer system using JVM without worrying about the different computer architecture.
Java is a pure object-oriented programming language. It supports all the important object-oriented programming features, such as encapsulation, polymorphism, abstraction, and inheritance. Almost every element in Java is treated as an object, and all the data and programs reside within objects and classes.
Java supports exception handling and automatic garbage collection to handle runtime errors, making it a robust language. Also, the memory management system of Java is very strong.
Java is a very secure language and can develop virus-free systems. It has a classloader, bytecode verifier, a virtual machine sandbox, a security manager, and no explicit pointer.
Also Read- Internet Security Types
Java allows multi-threading. Using Java programming language, developers can create programs that can deal with multiple tasks simultaneously using various threads.
What Does Java Do?
Here is the list of things that will give you the answer to what does Java do:
Mobile App Development
Java is the primary language for developing Android mobile applications. Java is used in the development of most android applications. Android Studio is the most popular IDE(Integrated development environment) to develop android applications. Some of the most popular mobile applications made with Java are Netflix, Google Earth, Twitter, Uber, etc.
Game development is another thing that Java can do. Java supports the open-source most powerful 3D engine. Some of the most loved games of today’s generation are built using Java programmings, such as Saints Row 2, Spiral Knights, Minecraft, Asphalt 6, and RuneScape. Java also supports jMonkeyEngine and Dalvik Virtual Machine to develop 2D and 3D android mobile games.
What Does Java Do? Cloud applications can be one of the best things that Java can do. Cloud computing is simply the on-demand access to computing resources such as storage, servers, databases, software, networking, etc. Developers can use Java programming to develop LaaS (Logging as a Service), PaaS (Platform as a Service), and SaaS (Software as a Service). Cloud applications help companies to develop applications remotely or for data sharing.
Java can be used to create high-quality web-based applications. Java provides secure and simple coding that attracts web application developers to it. Java supports JSPs, Struts, and Servlets that has the potential to develop any kind of web application. Spotify, Netflix, LinkedIn, Amazon, and Uber are popular web-based applications built with Java programming.
Java language is one of the best choices for developing scientific applications. Java is an extremely fast, portable, and secure programming language that satisfies all the scientific application requirements. MATLAB is the best example of a scientific application created using Java. MATLAB uses Java in its back-end as well as front-end.
Java Distributed Applications
Distributed applications are another good answer to what does Java do. Distributed applications are those applications that run on multiple computers on the same network.
Distributed applications can have multiple common requirements because of the dynamic servers quality, platform on which they operate and distributed characteristics. CORBA (Common Object Request Broker Architecture) and RMI (Remote Procedure Invocation)are the popular Java APIs to originate distributed applications.
Jini or Java intelligent networking infrastructure is used to provide, find, and register distributed services on the basis of its specifications. JavaSpaces is an important component of Jini. It is a mechanism that supports object persistence, distribution, and migration in a distributed environment.
Desktop applications are software programs designed to run on personal computers or laptops. Java provides a rich set of libraries and tools that enable developers to create desktop applications for various purposes, such as productivity, entertainment, or education.
The advantages of developing Java desktop applications include Platform independence, a Rich user interface and security.
They are software programs designed to support large organizations’ operations, such as corporations, governments, and non-profits. Java is widely used for developing enterprise applications due to its robustness, scalability, and platform independence.
Some advantages of developing enterprise applications using Java include Scalability, Reliability and Integration.
Java is also used for building trading applications. Murex is one of the biggest examples of a trading app created with Java. Several backs use Murex for backing operations.
Java Uses in Real Life
Java is one of the most popular programming languages used in the industry, and it has a wide range of real-world applications. Here are some ways Java is used in real life:
Big data processing
Java is used for processing large volumes of data. Hadoop, a popular big data processing framework, is written in Java.
Internet of Things (IoT)
Java is used for building IoT applications, such as home automation systems, smart appliances, and wearables.
Java is used for building financial applications, including trading applications, risk management systems, and banking applications.
Java is used for scientific computing and modeling, including simulations, data analysis, and visualization.
What Does Java Do On My PC
Java is a programming language and platform that can be used on your PC in various ways. Here are some things Java does on your PC:
- Runs Java applications: Java allows you to run Java-based applications on your PC. Many applications, such as Eclipse IDE, Minecraft, and Apache OpenOffice, are built using Java and require it to be installed on your PC to run.
- Provides security: Java’s security features help protect your PC from malicious software. Java provides a sandbox environment that prevents untrusted code from accessing your PC’s resources.
- Supports web browsing: Java supports web browsers, allowing you to run Java-based applications and applets directly in your web browser. However, many modern web browsers no longer support Java applets due to security concerns.
- Enables development: Java is a popular programming language for software development, and many Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) use Java to build desktop applications. You may use Java to build desktop or web applications, mobile apps, or games as a software developer.
- Manages updates: Java regularly releases updates that include bug fixes and security enhancements. When you have Java installed on your PC, it will automatically check for updates and notify you when new updates are available.
What Does Java Do For Minecraft
Java play a critical role in Minecraft as it is the programming language used to develop the game. Minecraft was created in Java, and the game’s code is written in Java, making it one of the largest Java-based projects.
Here are some things Java does for Minecraft:
- Runs the game: Java is responsible for running the Minecraft game on computers. The game is packaged as a Java application, and Java’s Virtual Machine (JVM) is used to execute the code.
- Enables modding: One of the key reasons for Minecraft’s popularity is the ability to modify the game. Java’s open-source nature allows developers to create mods (short for modifications) that can change the gameplay or add new features to the game.
- Provides cross-platform compatibility: Minecraft is available on many platforms, including Windows, Mac, Linux, and mobile devices. Java’s platform independence allows Minecraft to run on these different platforms easily.
- Facilitates server hosting: Java’s network capabilities allow for Minecraft servers to be hosted and played with friends online. Many hosting providers offer Java-based Minecraft server hosting.
- Enables plugin development: Besides mods, Java’s object-oriented programming features allow developers to create plugins that can add new features to the game or modify existing ones.
What is Online Java Compiler
An online Java compiler is a web-based tool that allows you to write, compile, and run Java code directly in your web browser without installing any software on your computer. Here are some popular online Java compilers:
- JDoodle: JDoodle is an online compiler and editor that supports multiple programming languages, including Java. It allows you to write, compile, and run Java code online and provides a console for input and output.
- Repl.it: Repl.it is an online coding platform that supports multiple programming languages, including Java. It allows you to write, compile, and run Java code directly in your web browser and also provides a collaboration feature that allows you to share your code with others.
- Ideone: Ideone is an online compiler and debugging tool that supports multiple programming languages, including Java. It allows you to write, compile, and run Java code online and provides a debugging tool to help you locate and fix errors in your code.
- OnlineGDB: OnlineGDB is an online compiler and debugger that supports multiple programming languages, including Java. It allows you to write, compile, and run Java code online and provides a debugging tool to help you locate and fix errors in your code.
- TutorialsPoint: TutorialsPoint is an online learning platform that provides tutorials and practical examples for various programming languages, including Java. It also provides an online compiler that allows you to write, compile, and run Java code directly in your web browser.
Steps to Java Download
To download Java, follow these steps:
- Go to the official Java website: Visit the Java website at https://www.java.com/en/download/.
- Select the Java version: Choose the Java version you want to download. Java offers two versions: Java SE (Standard Edition) and Java EE (Enterprise Edition).
- Accept the license agreement: Before downloading Java, you need to accept the license agreement.
- Choose your operating system: Select your operating system from the list of available options.
- Start the download: Click on the download button to start the download.
- Install Java: Double-click on the downloaded file to start the installation.
Also Read- C vs Java
In this blog, we have discussed what does Java do in detail. We have also mentioned what is Java and its features. Java is a general-purpose programming language that can be used to do various things. Java programming can create mobile applications, games, cloud applications, web applications, scientific applications, distributed applications, trading applications, etc. Hopefully, now you are clear about what does Java do and you will use this language by yourself in building different applications.
Moreover, if you need Java Assignment Help, you can get it from our experts at a pocket-friendly price.
Frequently Asked Question
Should I learn Java or Python in 2023?
Java and Python are popular programming languages with a large user community and plenty of resources for learning and development. The choice between Java and Python largely depends on your goals and the type of programming you want to do.
Is Java still the future?
Java has been a widely used programming language for several decades and is a popular choice for many developers and organizations. While newer languages and technologies have emerged recently, Java remains relevant and widely used.